Monday, March 29, 2010

Truth is different



Truth is different
March 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM

We have lost the tradi­tional art of storytelling. We do not have much time for our family. We do not have time to watch national news or read. But somehow we have a lot of time for gossip and for assassinating the characters of others.
Indeed we do! Who does not know about the Loose Character girls? If a girl sleeps around with six boyfriends in six years, she becomes a "Sure Goti", someone you can just pick up after a party or a call. But trust me, do your home work before you begin your ex­ercise. Speaking through experience!
I had heard her name everywhere, so much so that it appeared as if she had slept with everyone in Thimphu. Some spoke about how violently she made love, while oth­ers made fun of the foul odour emanating from her. I had not seen her at all, but I had a picture of her in my mind painted from the scores of short narratives people told me about her. To me she was an "emergency", substance abuser and a harlot. "She may have AIDs"; someone even told me that.
And how did I meet her? A close friend of hers introduced me to her and even told me "You can take her to­night". "Where to"? I asked. "Anywhere", he replied.
At first I could not speak to her, for I carried the image of a girl who sold herself for pleasure and not because of pov­erty. A man like me does not speak to a girl like her.
"Au, do you have a match", she asked me. Knowing that I cannot contact HIV/AIDs by sharing match boxes, I gave her one. My friend (her friend) had disap­peared as we were light­ing
a cigarette. "Are you working" She asked me. "Yes. I am married, I have a child……..", I told her everything as I was scared that she may jump on me. "Can we go for a drive" was her next question. "Here she comes. Oh God! I do not even have a cap. What if she accuses me of rape. What if all the people who told me stories about her saw me with her………" I was so wor­ried that I did not realize her asking me to stop the car.
"I am getting off here. Thank you" she told me and left. From my rear window I saw her go­ing with an Indian who was waiting. "How much might she be getting" I thought to myself.
I arrived home but could not sleep. Images of her disturbed me. She is pretty, she is not poor, so why is she what she is? Could I make a dif­ference by advising her? Just think about her par­ents, innocent souls who do not know what their girl is up to!
Next day I went to town for a haircut and I saw her with a friend (girl). I did not want them to see me but they had seen me. "This is the guy who gave me a lift yesterday" she introduced me to her, in my dialect. I was surprised that she knew my dialect. Her friend received a call and she left. I was with her and I did not know what to do. "Want a coffee" she asked me. I forgot my hair cut and followed her.
Inside the restaurant, she started to smoke and asked how my daughter was. She showed me a picture of her niece on her mobile and said that her job was babysitting, when her sister went to work. "Unemployed! So she must be doing it for money" I thought.
"What's the problem" You are so quiet, she asked. I did not know what happened but the words came out "How much do you charge for a night"? I saw how angry she was as she walked away.
Did I do anything wrong, no! But still I wanted to apologize and followed her.
"I have a lot to say. Can we go for a ride" I asked her and she jumped in. We went to Buddha point and there I told her ev­erything; about what her friend's and others said about her.
She did not cry, but she was hurt. "I have slept with 7 men so far. But all of them were my boy friends; and see what people make of me" she said. "It is al­ways like this" I consoled her.
Since then I went to her house, met her mother and family. I now know that she is not what people had painted her as. But how do I tell others. They will laugh at me. "Never mind! She is my project now; I will show and tell oth­ers that she is not what they make her to be". I decided!
And I am doing this. I told her also about it and have told her that without her cooperation I will not succeed. She will need to change her habits etc.
Sometimes I ask my­self; "Why am I doing this". My subconscious answers "If you can make one life, one person happier, you are accu­mulating a lot of merits. And in cases like this you are teaching society not to take everything they hear as truth".
And what if she was your sister?
Ugyen
Chubachu

No comments: